Is Ghost Town Jerome, AZ a Problem?
Have you heard a ghost town Jerome story?
Doyal Raymond Vines commented on Books and Pamphlets about Jerome, “(I) recall a story I read in Bisbee, where I served after Jerome. A police officer moved from Jerome to Bisbee shortly after another Jerome officer was found at the bottom of the long steps that run aside the New State building …with a knife in his back. …”
Wonder where he is now? Hmmm
Ghost Town Jerome should file a missing ghost report.
What’s this cool cat’s tale? He’s a dead ringer for a ringtailed cat. I bet he was on the prowl at night when that policeman was knifed in the back. Or maybe he saw the “accident” at the brothel and was scared to death. Are Ghosts Real? The Story of Belgian Jennie.: The Richest Madam in the Arizona Territory
Tourist Attractions in Ghost Town Jerome
Four of us traveled from Sedona to Jerome, not in search of ghosts, but hamburgers. “Best hamburgers in the area,” our concierge at Diamond Resorts told us.
Ghost town Jerome, AZ occupies three decks built into the mountain. On a scale of 1-10 for Cee’s Which Way Challenge, I rate this town as an 8. If you can’t climb stairs, your mobility will suffer in this ghost town, Jerome, AZ.
They warned us!
Balmy Sultry March weather in Jerome made it necessary to take vista breaks at various stages in the climb. At over 5,000 feet above sea level, the air thins out as it enters your nose. No wonder there are ghosts in Jerome. People and animals disappeared into thin air. (Get it?) hehehe
When we finally climbed the three flights of stairs to get to the Haunted Hamburger, we were almost dead. Like others before us, we thought we could walk right in and sit right down. That was not the case. A 45-minute wait awaited us. Vince and I walked up the street to a church across the street, climbed some more stairs to find a shady spot.
Ghost Town Jerome Tried to Tempt Fools
to take their own lives. Next to the entrance to the Haunted Hamburger a ladder tilted precariously against the roof. I could almost hear ghostly voices calling out to passer byes.
Does that look safe to you? I’m thinking ghosts are no accident here.
Prospectors Stake Claims on Copper Deposits
Jerome’s modern history began in 1876 with the discovery of copper. The California Gold Rush had sputtered by that time. Prospectors spread out across the west looking for fortune everywhere. The Verde Valley was about to undergo the biggest change in centuries, if not ever.
Production peaked under James. Douglas in 1929. The Great Depression sucked the life out of the company by 1938. Phelps Dodge took United Verde over in 1935. By 1953 all that was left of the mines were ghosts. Mines of the Jerome and Bradshaw Mountains of Arizona
The mines sucked the life out of the land. As Darlene and I learned at Tuzigoot National Monument, the waste from the mines poisoned the valley. More ghosts!
You should have found at least three or four ways to exit the ghost town, Jerome, AZ alive. First, don’t hunt for ghosts. Second, if you are not mobile, don’t climb the stairs from level to level. Third, if you do take the stairs, take breathing breaks as you go up. Going down is easy. Finally, don’t climb wobbly ladders to the roofs of any cliff buildings. As a bonus bit of advice, I wouldn’t drink the water from a well in the valley where they dumped the mining waste.
Related Ghost Town Jerome Articles
- Jerome AZ #Mining Town
- Books and Pamphlets about Jerome
- Things to Do in Jerome
- Arizona Vacation Guide
Related Sedona Articles
- Beautiful – Wintry- #Sedona, Arizona
- How Would You Get Into Cliff Dwellings Without Ladders?
- Where Can You Find Magnificent Red Rock and Artisan Culture in One Location?
- What Could Be Worse Than Landing in a Bed of Roses?
Related Ghost Town Jerome Products
- Sedona’s Best 2007/2008
- Images of America Jerome
- Home Sweet Jerome: Death and Rebirth of America’s Richest Copper Mining City
- Are Ghosts Real? The Story of Belgian Jennie.: The Richest Madam in the Arizona Territory
- Arizona Mining Towns
- Images of America Southeastern Arizona Mining Towns
- The Copper Town Cookbook Jerome Az.
- The Ghost of the Cuban Queen Bordello
- Ghost Town Stories and Wicked Legends
- Merkin Vineyards Jerome AZ Heather Brown T-Shirt
- Premium Outdoor Canvas Wall Art Print entitled Jerome AZ
- Ghosts of Arizona: The Haunted Locations of Flagstaff, Cottonwood, Jerome, Peoria, Prescott, Prescott Valley and…
- Ghost City Jerome, Arizona, AZ, USA Postcard Post Card
- After The Boom In Tombstone And Jerome, Arizona: Decline In Western Resource Towns (Shepperson Series in History Humanities)
- Experience Jerome: The Moguls, Miners, and Mistresses of Cleopatra Hill
Please Share Ghost Town, Jerome AZ
Always Write is an Amazon Affiliate blog. You might be interested in getting an Amazon Affiliate Link for your blog as well. It’s free.
Thanks for joining me on this quick tour of the ghost town, Jerome, AZ. If you enjoyed the tour, please share it with others on their journeys. 🙂
Do you have a travel post you’d like to link in the comment section?